Monday 2 June 2008

Sex and periods

I'm trying to be open in this blog. So here goes - I hate periods.

Not for the pain (I don't get much now), not for the sheer messiness (I tend to have a very low amount of bleeding), but because sex becomes harder.

For a start, my sex drive dips quite quickly over my period. For about 10 days before hand my sex drive goes into over-drive (my body trying to get pregnant I assume), but as soon as my bleed starts - it seems to stop.

On the rare occasions that it starts (and earlier was an example) I just can't consider sex without using a condom. The whole health issue is quite high with me (I think it's linked in with my abuse). So I then have the tricky job of persuading my husband that using a condom isn't that bad, and it is worse than no-sex.

Sometimes this is easy. Today, for some reason, it wasn't. I'm not sure how it happened, but we just seemed to jar where we normally flow. It certainly killed the moment for me anyway.

There is another reason that I hate periods. That is PMT. I do get that, and sometimes for weeks at a time. I've never had a regular period. From when I started till I was about 20 my doctor kept telling me that it would calm down. When I was 20 he asked me when I started, on hearing 12 he suddenly realised that something was wrong, it wasn't going to calm down, and he needed to put me forward for some further examination.

So far they've not been able to find anything apart from a possible sight of PCOS. The normal treatment for this is hormone therapy, but I've also had a suspected DVT, and that kind of stops any change at hormone replacement. So they've compromised on a marina coil. It used to stop my periods all together. But now it seems that they've come back. I wonder if it stopped because I wasn't in any form of relationship for so long, but now that I'm back to having sex my body is responding with it's "get pregnant now" mantra.

Anyway, it's past my bedtime, and I've got work tomorrow, so catch you all later.

No comments: